On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 3:26:37 PM UTC-8, Nanard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been programming since the beginning with Eclipse+SDK.
> I saw it won't be supported for long, as AndroidStudio became the official
> dev. platform.   I am then trying to migrate all my code into AndroidStudio.
>
> I have 2 versions : 1 free, 1 full.  Then I'm learning 'the hard way'  :
> using flavors.
>
> My feedback :
> - I am loosing a lot of time trying to understand and searching for sample
> on the web.  A few help using AndroidStudio, flavor, ...
> - I doubt I could migrate my App on AndroidStudio.
> - It's a huge waste of effort.  2 weeks lost already (2hrs/night)

Been there. It was a huge disruption, but it was pretty much forced on us.
I took it all in a 24 hour period with little sleep.

> Of course, Eclipse wasn't perfect (especially when new versions came : I
> had to re-create new Projects and copy/paste code), but it worked, and I
> published my Apps.
>

> With AndroidStudio.... well, I'm starting to believe I will leave Android
> programming !
>
> Any such feedback ?
> Will Google finally support Eclipse+SDK again for the years to come ?

No, they won't. I learned that the hard way.

The paint wasn't dry on the 1.0 version before I ran into several things.

Most of all, including Google Play Services overruns Dex - known problem.
The only instructions for dealing with that situation.

There are no instructions for piecing out Google Play Services without
using Android Studio. Some people here had creative solutions, but that was
all.
And there was no way of running MultiDex in Eclipse that I could find.
Official instructions are Nothing I found actually worked.

| With AndroidStudio.... well, I'm starting to believe I will leave Android
programming !

Is this Android Studio or the migration to Android Studio?

Because with new projects, even months ago, I had no hesitation starting
them in Android Studio.
It was the forced migration that was a pain.

Right now, life is much better. I have no desire to touch Eclipse again if
I can avoid it.
That may be of little comfort to you now.

Nathan

---
"Android Developers" group.