My mistake in choosing words. I didn't set a max, it is the target that I
set.

The IDE also suggests putting the suppress tag on the method, but I have
never been a fan of suppressing warnings or errors. If this is the accepted
way to do it, however, then I will follow it.

Thanks!

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 7:09:08 AM UTC-7, MathieuB wrote:

> You shouldn't set a max sdk. You can set minSdk to 18, and targetSdk to
> 21. If you set a max, that means if there's a new android version, people
> won't be able to download your app, you'll have to make an update.
>
> As for the error you get, it's mainly a lint error. If the code is in an
> if statement like you showed, there's no reason someone with API 18 enters
> into this if statement. You'll just have to add @SuppressLint("NewApi")
> before your method.
>
> Have a look at this stackoverflow page, it'll help.
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11592820/writing-backwards-compatible-android-code

---
"Android Developers" group.