Sounds like you're going to have to use some debugging skills and figure
out more specifically what is causing the problem.

Given that it is marshmallow problems my first suggestion would be to look
at permissions since this fundamentally changed.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/CAOq06s8WCHf_ypqG7rXUanRYmk_AEU9Ap5z0ib-ShY8J6N1P1g%40mail.gmail.com.