You should NEVER store the users credentials (password) in
SharedPreferences or anywhere else for that matter. This is very un-secure.
At best, use Android's *AccountManager* facilities.

Back to your WebView question.

The WebView of your app gets access to a cache where it can cache the
necessary data such as cookies. Methods that allow access from your *Java*
code to this cached data are gradually deprecated and taken out.

If the HTLM login-page allows the user to save (part of) his or her
credentials, it will be taken care off automatically (e.g. a small
"remember my info" checkbox or something similar is shown and a cookie will
store the necessary data).

In other words, the solution lies in the design and implementation of the
HTML login-page(s). Don't do anything special in your Java code for
remembering user-name and password.
The only thing you may want to get out of the HTML login is the user's
access or authorization token(s). If you use a embedded *WebView*, you can
use the *JavascriptInterface* facilities for that.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/0abbf57a-f90a-4271-bfd8-a72a195251f2%40googlegroups.com.