Thanks for all your help! I've been trying out your original idea, but
I still seem to be having issues.

I have moved the SurfaceView to main.xml, it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:orientation="vertical"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"

<SurfaceView android:id="@+id/surface_view"
android:layout_height="fill_parent"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"></SurfaceView>
</LinearLayout>

And now onCreate looks like this:

       setContentView(R.layout.main);
       SurfaceView sv = (SurfaceView) findViewById
(R.id.surface_view);

       SurfaceHolder holder = sv.getHolder();
       holder.setType(SurfaceHolder.SURFACE_TYPE_PUSH_BUFFERS);

       try {
           MediaPlayer mp = new MediaPlayer();
           AssetFileDescriptor afd = getResources().openRawResourceFd
(R.raw.video);
           mp.setDataSource(afd.getFileDescriptor(), afd.getStartOffset(),
afd.getLength());
           afd.close();
           mp.setDisplay(holder);
           mp.prepare();
           mp.start();
        } catch {...}

There are no errors ever thrown, but the process dies on mp.prepare()
without any warning or useful debug info. Is there potentially some
other way I should be setting the data source for a resource? Or
something else I'm forgetting to do that would make prepare
mysteriously kill the entire process?