This was a problem with chmod'ing external storage files once upzipped. I'm
not sure why this would have ever worked even on lower apis though. It
doesnt make sense that you can chmod something not in its own private user
space, i.e. public external storage. However, the python executables in
private space are okay to chmod the files. ( fyi: chmod technique that
damon came up with for with this never google/android official )

There does not need to be any modification of privileges on these files
once unzipped for the python interpreter to use for imports.

I fixed this bug by modifying the Utils and ScriptActivity java files. You
will no longer get the EPERM errors on install. I forked this project and
added the PIE executables too so this you can run python apks on api 5.0 or
greater now.

my repos is here : https://github.com/ainsophical/droid-python

Cheers,

-Michael