I'm working on AS plugin development (gradle based), which relies on having
to download specific controlled versions of Android Studio and more
specifically, the plugins/android/lib/android.jar file. Is there a place to
get those files from?

The next best thing is downloading Intellij Idea from their repo but that
prevents me from having code that rely on things only available in Android
Studio.

Then the only alternative is to have a gradle task that downloads a file
from http://tools.android.com/download/studio/builds/2-0 and adds it as a
library, but I'm not even sure how long those builds are going to be
available. And to some extent that may be incompatible with how the gradle
plugin for intellij plugins is expected to work.

There's probably a CI environment somewhere that also may fit those needs,
how can I peek at it?

Please check out the discussion about it on
https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/206749645/comments/207150085#community_comment_207150085

for more details.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/7ef803f0-9484-4c95-8973-d7d919250b4c%40googlegroups.com.