Great idea, Jon.  Thanks for sharing the code.  I'm about to start
work on sound in my game, so I'll look into using this.

Hopefully, Google realizes that many are using SoundPool and will keep
the existing API in place for a while, even if deprecated, long enough
to migrate apps.  I think we are all interested in keeping Android's
good name and not annoying users without need.