I'd suggest two things, (1) Read the Android source code eg:
https://source.android.com/devices/halref/sensors_8h_source.html + CTS
eg
http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/source.android.com/en//compatibility/android-cdd.pdf

(2) Answer your own questions by writing a test app to measure the data
yourself, being sure to run it on several different devices.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/bc501c0b-e198-442a-949f-d6fbbd6df465%40googlegroups.com.