I am also developing games which may make heavy use of onTouchEvent(),
so this thread looks very helpful to me as well.

I've been trying to follow everything you guys have been talking
about, but I must admit that after trying several ways of implementing
what you suggest, I still haven't been able to achieve any positive
results.  Could one of you provide some example code?  Specifically,
I'd like to know how to go about making the main/UI thread sleep.  If
it's applicable to my games, it would also be nice to know how to set
up a polling model like Jon implemented.

Of course, I greatly appreciate any help!