Ok. Let's see if we can de-FUDify this thread with some facts:

Yes, the Market only allows UK sellers to list in GBP. Apparently the
Market shows the end user an estimated conversion in their local
currency, but I don't know if it shows that on the listing itself, or
only on the checkout page (hopefully both). This is a limitation in
Google Checkout, which currently only allows users to sell using their
own currency.

Google Checkout does have full support for EU VAT (do you really think
they would launch a service that couldn't be used legally?) VAT is
listed as a separate item on the receipts, as required. In the "Tax
setup" section of the Checkout settings you set the VAT rate for each
EU country individually (to allow for the situation where you are
registered in more than more country). The buyer's address is shown on
the receipt.

--
Jon