Faber Fedor wrote:
> I guess this one is too advanced for the beginner's group, so I'll ask
> it here:
>
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Faber Fedor <faberfe...@gmail.com
> <mailto:faberfe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On my map menu I've got two menuitems: "Map View" and "Satellite
>     View".  I'm sure you can figure out what they do. :-)  I want to
>     push "Map View" and have the "Satellite View" menuitem disappear and
>     vice-versa.  I thought the following code was the obvious way to do
>     it, but my map_menuitem and satellite_menuitem are both set to
>     null.  Yes, the R.id's do exist and Eclipse is happy with all the
>     code. I don't see why this shouldn't work, 'cept it don't. Suggestions?
>
>     <CODE>
>         public boolean onOptionsItemSelected(MenuItem item) {
>
>             Intent i;
>
>             switch(item.getItemId()) {
>                 case R.id.satellite_menuitem:
>                     MenuItem map_menuitem  = (MenuItem)
>     findViewById(R.id.map_menuitem);

MenuItems aren't Views. I mean that literally: MenuItem is an interface,
not a subclass of View.

Hence, to find a MenuItem, you don't call findViewById(). Instead, you
need to hold onto the Menu you populated in onCreateOptionsMenu() and
call findItem() on it.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com