Hi Neil,
Sorry about the banning.
Now to the SIM issues.  I have been working with mobile phone auth
solutions since 1998 and it has been said that the SIM is the way to
go.  For various reasons, and in particular due to a lack of a
business model, operators have often used the cheapest SIMs they could
find  I.e. SIM are often wihout RSA capability.   Anyway, since the
SIM is owned, reserved, andcontrolled by the operators, the handset
makers haven't done very much to make SIMs usable except trough SIM
ToolKit.  In the EU there are large deployments of SIM TK auth
solutions.  These solutuions are all horrible and not integrated with
the phone apps.

I started my project to get rid of SIM dependencies.

Anders