Hi everyone,

My story begins(at least from what I know) in November 2016 when I first
saw a strange thing in my Google Analytics dashboards. The strange thing
was that I was having sessions and users from an application version which
I have never published on Google Play. After a few investigation I found
the cool dimension called "Engagement->App ID" in Google Analytics which
allowed me to look at the data from the App ID perspective.

To my surprise I noticed that there were 2 App ID's which were not familiar
to me. My next step was to take this id's and search for them on Google
Play. With not much effort I found the applications and realized that these
2 developers have copied/stole and replicated my application on their
account (one of them didn't even took the effort to make new screenshots
and description for the application).

At that point I have submitted a removal request for both copies and
concluded that they copied the application and somehow forgot to replace
the Google Analytics code( that was my luck :) ). With the support from
Google a few days later both applications were removed from the
store(accounts for both developers remained active).

Although my problem was solved I remained concerned that my Google Play or
Google Admob account might get associated/linked with the accounts of these
developers or other developers that will continue to try to steal and
replicate my applications.
Unfortunately this morning my concerns became quite real when I got an
email from Admob stating that ad serving was disabled for my application.
When I got to read the email in detail I quickly noticed that the app id
for which the ads were disabled is not mine, but instead the app id of
another developer that stole and replicated my application. The conclusion
was that this developer not only forgot to change the Google Analytics code
but actually forgot to also change the Admob app id. The ad serving for
that application was disabled because of his Google Play account
termination due to some policy violations.

My fear now is that also my Google Play account might get associated with
this kind of developers considering that the accounts of the first 2
developers that I have mentioned are still active and they still publish
applications that are stolen from other developers.

My actions so far: Wrote emails to both Admob and Google Play. At this
point I am waiting for their response.

With that being said, I was wondering if anyone else was in a situation
similar to this, or if anyone has any suggestion on what I should do next.
Any ideas are well appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but I considered that some other developers might
learn something from my experience, even how to use Google Analytics for
theft prevention(unfortunately, the ones that are stealing the work of
others will also see this post) :).

Best regards,
Alin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/597bfb97-1b92-4227-bce6-9d98d44ba011%40googlegroups.com.