>> setOutputFile() expects a path to where you want the file stored.

Yep, figured that much by the method name, but what's a valid path?  I
mean I'm figuring it's UNIX-like, but other than that I'm in the
dark.  Is there a preferred place for apps to store data?  Are there
certain directories that I have permission to write to?  What
directories exist on the device by default?  It'd be nice for the docs
on data storage to mention any of these things:
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/data-storage.html

>> You can take a look at the source to SoundRecorder in the open source tree
>> for some working code

Thanks for the example.  This would be a much better example than the
one in the docs that won't compile and implies content must first be
added to a database:  http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/index.html