I'm using BlueZ on a custom Yocto linux build. I modified the
example-gatt-server python script to make a custom service for BLE
communication. Using BLE Scanner I can discover this service and test
notifications and sent data correctly on Android versions up to and
including 5.0.1 and on some devices using Android 7 and above. Using a
different app, I can verify this service on every iOS device I've tried.

This device also does bluetooth audio streaming if that's a useful data
point.

The BLE Scanner app does see the two generic services. I've seen
suggestions that the problem lies in the BlueZ stack. Also mentioned was
BR/EDR handling in Android. The Android app we're developing does specify
not to use the automatic selection of transport and forces BLE.

The BlueZ stack I'm using is 5.43 (without the full recipe, though. It's
basically a slightly modified recipe from 5.34. Didn't want to rev the
entire Yocto build and pulling in just BlueZ with the full 5.43 recipe is
many moving parts.)

Has anyone figured a way to connect the affected Android versions to BlueZ?
I'm currently working on porting the entire BlueZ 5.43 recipe but it's slow
going and I'd rather know why I'm fixing the behavior rather than just rev
a number and hope.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/855c7324-a14d-41fa-83ab-2e309740277c%40googlegroups.com.