Is it possible to update a currently running activity from a BroadcastReceiver?

I want to update my activity from a BroadcastReceiver that runs
alongside it.  When I run my app (from Eclipse), my activity starts.
When the BroadcastReceiver is triggered, it currently tries to start
the activity (with extras in the bundle...this is the important part),
but nothing happens, presumably because the activity is already
running.  So my question is, how do I get the new information to my
Activity (or even just tell the activity that there's new information
to get if I stick the information in a database)?  This seems like it
should be fairly straightforward, but I'm clearly missing something.