Jon,

To give you some background about me so you can understand that I'm not
just shooting in the breeze here, one of the companies I am director of
sells a piece of software I designed which securely stores information
using cryptography, the piece of software in question has been tested
and bought by a large number organisations including the US Federal
Aviation Authority, Boeing, Fujitsu, Unisys, and several governmental
organisations around the world. Don't take this as an "I know
everything" statement, I'm offering this up so that you're aware I'm not
basing my viewpoints on a quick scan of Wikipedia.

Cryptography inherently has nothing to do with transmission, it is
purely about securing information. That secured information can then be
stored or transmitted, but cryptography and the use of cryptographically
secured information are two separate things. There are a number of
protocols outside of cryptography which ensure secure transit
(Diffie-Hellman key exchange for example), but the use of Cryptography
is not inextricably tied to information transmission.

DRM is Digital Rights Management. It's not about securing applications
in transit (although copy-protection systems sometimes are labelled
DRM), it's aboute ensuring an what a user wants to do with some content
is an approved usage in the context in which they are operating. This
isn't neccessarily about encrypting applications, in fact the system at
AndAppStore[1] doesn't rely on encrypting the application, it purely
relies on using an encrypted piece of data which thae application uses
to determine what rights a user has available to them.

One time pads are "breakable", all that needs to happen is you need to
obtain a copy of the pad. Brute force and key guessing is not the only
way to get around cryptography.

RSA encryption has been shown to be vulnerable with the RSA Technologies
$10,000 prize for decrypting a message secured with RSA-576 being
claimed in 2003[2], and the once lauded DES encryption system has been
shown to be vulnerable with data encrypted using a 56 bit key being
"cracked" in 22 mins[3].

Quantum cryptography is still a long way from being a practicality for
daily use and is in it's infancy. Many crypto systems have claimed to
required hundreds or thousands of years to crack, many have be broken
either by methods not considered by the original inventors or by more
powerful machines. As I said originally "the aim of it is to ensure the
information is worthless by the time it's broken".

"Fair use" is a legal concept which DRM mechanism should take into
account. In many parts of the EU there is no concept of "Fair use"
allowing even a single backup copy let alone transferring content into a
different format.

DRM can't stop a determined attacker, but good DRM makes the content
worthless by the time it's been cracked, and the current Android Copy
Protection system isn't a good DRM implementation because a casual
attacker can follow a simple set of instructions to by-pass it.

Al.

[1] http://andappstore.com/AndroidPhoneApplications/licensing.jsp
[2] http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2096
[3] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/07/25/rsa_poses_200_000_crypto/

--

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.