[Problem clarified]
To update an SQL database you need write permissions on the /database
file folder that holds the database, but these permissions are set to
drwxrwx--x.  If the application using the database falls in the
"other" category (i.e. not the owner application or its "group), then
it does not have write permissions and cannot update the SQL
database.  This was verifed by changing the described permissions to
drwxrwxrwx which fixes the problem.

Jim