All:

I have an app in the Google Play store
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ericbt.Vault3).

This app reads and writes files in internal and external storage. It
includes the "requestLegacyExternalStorage" flag:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />

<application
android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true"

It targets API 29:

android {
compileSdkVersion 29

defaultConfig {
minSdkVersion 15
targetSdkVersion 29
}

In the developer console I have a warning about the app's use of broad
storage access:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/10467955

Can someone tell me exactly what will happen to this app, and to users of
this app, on May 5, if I don't get it approved for broad storage access?

I am hoping that the app will continue to be in Google Play, and that it
will still have the same access to storage, for users of all Android
versions, and that I will be able to update the app, provided that I don't
start targeting a higher Android version. Am I correct?

Thanks!