I liked to override a Gallery widget class, so I tried to override and
I faced the problem of using protected variable.

this is a Gallery source
@Override
    protected void onLayout(boolean changed, int l, int t, int r, int
b) {
        super.onLayout(changed, l, t, r, b);
          /*
         * Remember that we are in layout to prevent more layout
request from
         * being generated. [android comment]
         */
        mInLayout = true;
        layout(0, false);
        mInLayout = false;
    }
and I changed
{
    super.onLayout (changed, l, t, r, b);
    mInLayout = true;
    MyLayout (0, false);
    minLayout = false;
}
I build.. and result is
/home/bobos26/work/devel/omap_test/packages/apps/Launcher/src/com/
android/launcher/WRGallery.java:27: mInLayout is not public in
android.widget.AdapterView; cannot be accessed from outside package
        mInLayout = true;
        ^
the result log mean that I can't accessed the protected variable
mInLayout from outside package. I think I can access a parent's
protected variable when overriding class in Object oriented
programming theory. am I wrong? and is there a good solution to access
a parent's protected variable?