Jon,

Thanks for the tips. I have been trying with the different locales and
can confirm that Locale.GERMANY, Locale.FRANCE, but above all new
Locale("nl", "NL") works.
For the discussion on German(Germany) and German(autstria), i think
that the language is still the same. The language codes are defined by
iso standard 639-1. That standard knows only of german (de). The 639-2
standard knows a lot more german languages like swiss german.
So if java has choosen for ISO 639-1, its by design of Java. But in
the 1.6 javadoc i see only a reference to ISO 639, without
specification of which one.

Regards,
  Arjan