Hi,

I have Ganymede and it works just fine.
Make sure java is correctly installed, there are a lot of tutorials
around.
Install the Eclipse Plugins for Android. How to do that is described
on
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/installing.html under
"Installing the ADT Plugin for Eclipse".

The red cross at the package means, if the red cross does not appear
in a deeper level of the package, that there is something wrong with
the preferences.
You can right click on the project and select "Properties", just at
the bottom.
You should check the settings for "Android" and Java.
My guess is that you didn't select an Android SDK.

Do you really mean package, or "Project"? Does the symbol appear at a
package icon or next to the project icon, which is an open folder in
yellow/blue?

Good luck,
  Tommaso