On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Justin Allen Jaynes <jus...@ragblue.com>wrote:

> 1.  Why is there a file size limit on resources in the raw or assets
> folders (such a small limit, that is)?

Assets are normally stored compressed, so currently opening it requires
uncompressing into an in-memory buffer.  From that perspective, 1MB is
pretty big -- it's over 1% of the total memory available to the kernel and
all apps on the G1!

To get around this, you can store your file uncompressed -- the new aapt has
an option to turn off compression for custom fie extensions -- so you can
read it directly from the .apk as an AssetFileDescriptor.  It would also be
nice to support streaming access that uncompresses while you read...
patches welcome. :)

> 2.  Does this limit apply to all raw and asset files, or only to files
> that you get an input stream for?

It is compressed files.  PNGs, MP3s, etc are not compressed in the .apk
since their data is already compressed.

> 2.  Can I change the file size limit, or is it a fixed feature?

Fixed.

> 3.  Is it appropriate to split a raw file into two or three files and
> read them in as three consecutive separate streams, all output to one
> file?  Or is this a bad practice since they must have implemented a file
> size limit for storage conservation reasons?

Sure, that is fine.

> 4.  Can I delete the resources from raw or assets at runtime (or is this
> totally invalid since the compiler sets up R.raw to have methods
> representing the files) to save space?

Not at all, sorry.  You .apk is completely read-only.

> 5.  How big is too big an application? (mine is a large word dictionary
> and the whole app after first run takes 4 meg)

Given the storage space on the G1, that is pretty big -- 5-10% of the space
available to all applications, their private data (Gmail messages and such),
and the browser cache.  That size of an .apk will probably reduce the number
of users you have, depending on how valuable people find the app to be.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.