I chose copy protection for my application on the android market.
There are some users complain they were not able to download the
software from the market and gave me only one star. I am wondering if
they are Dev phone users. If yes, could Google ban them even before
they start download? One user said he tried 10 times...

Another issue is, it seems the "rooted" G1 phone can download even
copy protected app. And the worse thing is the app apk file can be
published to anywhere and anyone can download it for free.

I am wondering if Google can do this: the Android Market can sign the
app with the device hardware id, so the app can only run on this
particular device. I have done this for Windows Mobile phone before
(Encrypt a seperate license file instead of sign the app).