On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Gaurav <agarw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will like some clarifications around thumbnails:
>
> 1. Whose responsibility is it to generate thumbnails - the android OS
> or the application developer?

Pre-cupcake, android (specifically, the camera framework which runs in
the mediaserver) generates the thumbnails for you.  In cupcake, the
responsibility is going to be split between the camera application and
the framework.  The reason for the split is that certain JPEG images
may have thumbnails that exceed the 64k limitation, and will be
generated without the thumbnail.  The thumbnail, in this case, will be
generated out of line by the camera app itself.

> 2. If it is that of android OS - Can you please explain when the
> thumbnail generation happens and whether it is possible to have images
> on my SD card that don't have thumbnails generated for them.

Thumbnails are generated when you request a snapshot, by the DSP.
You may turn this off by setting any of the following parameters to
zero:

thumbnail-width
thumbnail-height
thumbnail-quality

> 3. It seems there are thumbnails of two kinds - micro and mini - most
> probably this distinction is based on the size of the thumbnail. Which
> one of these is generated? Are both always generated?

Unless you override the thumbnail settings, the default is width of
512, height of 384, and quality of 90.  I do not suggest you alter
these parameters, however, other than turning thumbnails off.