There is probably a possibility to still keep the ratings if you leave
the app free, let it expire (or go to a limited functionality after a
several days or so). If users want to get it back to full features -
they have to buy an unlock key. The unlock key is nothing more than a
paid application that has no functionality. Your free application will
just have to check if the paid is installed and unlock itself.

This approach (if possible) has lots of advantages:

1. You can keep the ratings from the free app
2. You support only one app (not free and paid).
3. You can give your users potentially longer trial than the 24 hours
Google allows.
4. No need to port settings from the free to the paid one.
5. You potentially avoid issues with crashes caused by copy protection
as you will copy protect only the paid app that has not real
functionality,

This is a bit unconventional approach, but it may work.