I tried it again this morning and it works now. I guess T-Mobile keeps
a cached file for 24 hours or so.

At this point, I'm positive that the problem lies with T-Mobile: a) it
works from within the emulator, b) I don't see a hit in the accesslog
when I try to download it, c) it works after 24 hours.

One thing I didn't try when the file was busted was to simply rename
it or to add something like ?x=y at the end of the URL when
downloading it. That should have solved it too.

-Mike