Yeah, I got my example above to work across processes with intents.  I
actually managed to send the soft keyboard character sequence and
cursor position to another text edit view via a bundle in
intent.PutExtra()...  So basically, I can type in one application and
have it appear in another one which I needed to do for something I'm
working on.  Thanks for all your help.