That would be way too much like including the community in what is
supposedly a community project. Google has not yet gotten there in terms of
internal policies or attitudes, although a growing number of individuals are
trying to walk the tightrope between community and commercial (thanks JBQ :)
..)

This is where I was going to put another example, but I can't do one off the
top of my head. (Apple? Nope.. they just seeded a new pre-release of OSX to
devs, with changelogs and all, and afaik they make the iphone sdk's
available on planned schedules and with plenty of warning for app writers.
And so forth for nokia, palm, etc. Google is their own example I guess, in
that the "announcement" of updates for most Google products is simply a
"Whats new?" link at the top...)

Do they have requirements and deadlines that strongly impact the AOSP? Yes
indeedily they do. Will they share them? Its not looking good..