I want to show a ProgressBar while doing some background operation,
but my code seems not to work. I hope someone can help me to solve
this problem. Thank you in advance!Here is my code and explanation :

 public boolean onMenuItemSelected(int featureId, MenuItem item) {
        switch(item.getItemId()) {
        case CASEONE_ID:
                ProgressBar progress = (ProgressBar)findViewById
(R.id.ProgressBar);
        progress.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
         progress.bringToFront();
        progress.invalidate();

                 backgroundWork();

                 progress.setVisibility(View.GONE);
        progress.invalidate();
                return true;
              }
        return super.onMenuItemSelected(featureId, item);
    }/*In fact I never see the progressbar by this code, instead the
program will keep frozen until backgroundWork() finish. But what I
want is the progressbar can appear in the screen while backgroungWork
() is being processed.

private void backgroundWork(){
              for(int i=0;i<1E8;i++);
}/*This is not the exact work I did in my own program. I change it to
this form is just to tell you my operation will occupy the processor
for long time.*/