I am unsure of the jargon so please bear with me, I am seeking advice
on the best way to go about drawing the graphics for an app I am
developing.

Imagine you are creating a game of checkers, where you can drag/drop
one piece at a time to a blank space on the board.   When the piece is
being moved, it seems to me that you should not need to redraw all of
the pieces that are not being moved.

Using the LunarLander example, is there a way to store the background
image and only draw the piece being moved over it?  I have been trying
to figure out a way to capture the canvas as an bitmap that is
occasionally refreshed.  Is there a way to do this?