Streets Of Boston wrote:
> Bump :-)
> Has anyone dealt with a similar problem before?

I will be dealing with a similar problem over the next month or so. Take
these thoughts with a decent-sized grain of salt.

>> I'm writing a user-app that allows the user to upload pics using a
>> service. The service can be used by multiple user-apps, not just mine.
>> I'd like to have the service being installed in its own apk, instead
>> of bundling it with each user-app.
>>
>> Has anyone had experience with this scenario?

Only theory, not practice as yet.

>> What is the best scenario i should implement so that the user
>> downloads the service that the user-app needs?

Ummmm...that depends a bit on how you define "best".

>> Can be this be done
>> automatically (that would be best)?

No. Android does not have a package management system that tracks
dependencies (a la apt or yum in Linux).

>> If not, in your opinion, what
>> would be the most user-friendly way for doing so?

Set up your UI to detect if the service is or is not installed. When the
user clicks the menu choice (or whatever) that leads down the path where
you need the service, display a "hey, you need to grab the such-and-so
add-on to enable this feature -- click here!" screen. The "click here"
would either open a Market Uri (if you're distributing the add-on via
the Market) or your Web site (if you're not). They'd download/install
the service and eventually wander their way back to your app, at which
point you can detect that the service is available.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, $35/Year