Dan Bornstein wrote:
> Maybe it needs some further wordsmithing.

As another "for instance" of this error, I am working on Android-ifying
some existing Java code that relies on java.beans.PropertyChangeListener
and java.beans.PropertyChangeEvent. I can pull those files out of Apache
Harmony, and they are nicely self-contained -- PropertyChangeEvent
references PropertyChangeListener, but everything else they use are
supplied by Android.

When I tried putting src/java/beans/PropertyChangeEvent.java and
src/java/beans/PropertyChangeListener.java in my source tree, though, I
triggered the --core-library error message from dx.

> In particular, dx
> rejects the definition of classes in namespaces which are already used
> by classes in the standard boot classpath or are likely to be defined
> in future incarnations of the platform.

The problem is that you put us out here in a bind: we can't use your
classes (because they are not in the SDK) and you won't let us use our
edition of those classes.

I would recommend the --core-library dx error message have a link to
some documentation page where this gets spelled out, so we know what to
expect. In particular, a list of the prohibited namespaces would be
handy, so we don't have to just guess what we can and cannot use.

FYI, I have filed this in the issue tracker as:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2329

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 2.0 Available!