That is working as intended.  onStart() is called each time someone calls
startService(); if nobody has called startService() since your last
onStart(), then onStart() will not be called again.  The Service class does
not have the same lifecycle as Activity; it is unfortunate we used "start"
for the method here as well, because it is not the same as activity.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.