Romain,

thanks for pointing out onInterceptTouchEvent()! I'll take a look at
that method ASAP.

As to the "it was meant to be part of the UI design", I really wonder
why practically none of the apps shipped with Android use gestures
then (I mean, apart from scrolling up or down of course)? I can only
think of the home app right now. In contrast, the iPhone makes very
consistent use of flings to navigate back and forth between app
screens. We tried to implement this for our app, but as I said, it
wasn't actually an easy thing to do, because, for example, Android
doesn't actually define what a left or right fling is (in terms of
velocity and so forth). So, another app may have a different
understanding of this, and react differently to left and right flings
(in terms of when to interpret it as such, not in terms of the
resulting action, which of course may be different), giving navigation
in the platform an inconsistent feel. That's what I meant with messy
and fragile.

Cheers,
Matthias