Thanks Mark, but I'm debugging the application on a T-Mobile G1 with
installed SD card (real hardware) ~ no emulator, just the real thing.
Is there a permission needed that I'm not recognizing?  Or, is there a
special exclusive way to deal with files on the SD card?  Any help or
pointing in the right direction would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Ben