So my app is performing ok, but could be running a lot better.

LogCat shows me every 4 - 5 seconds, GC freed usually about 20,000
bytes each time, so clearly I am doing something wrong.

I have gone through the reference material on GC / memory allocation
at
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/design/performance.html

I have also looked at Android source classes such as View which I know
are designed for performance :
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=core/java/android/view/View.java;h=04447ca4719df5bf274ce4d04e1df7ef28f89a83;hb=HEAD

I don't have any new constructors in my user control loop and I
calculate any 'new' primitives using a final constructor beforehand
like in the samples.

What else do I need to check?