Yes, Eclipse sucks.

BTW, does anyone now know hard or easy it is to write plugins for
Eclipse, especially plugins which generate code, or parse and/or
modify code in code windows?
I'd like to create a plugin which when given an activity class, and a
layout, used as a view in the activity would generate typed members
for all widgets and will write the code to find them, e.g. if there's
a layout and 2 buttons w/ resource ids R.id.button1 and R.id.button2
in a nested layout w/ id R.id.buttonPanel, the plugin would generate
the following code:

private LinearLayout mButtonPanel;
private Button mButton1;
private Button mButton2;

and in onCreate it would insert:

mButtonPanel = (LinearLayout)findViewById(R.id.buttonPanel);
mButton1 = (Button)mButtonPanel.findViewById(R.id.button1);
mButton2 = (Button)mButtonPanel.findViewById(R.id.button2);

This will avoid some hair-pulling errors I occasionally make (and
probably other guys too).
If writing plugins is not easy, I'll just create a stand-alone app
which parses the layout file and creates 2 snippets of code ready to
be pasted.

Cheers