There's been a number of threads on this issue, the BitmapFactory
tends to throw this out of memory errors when it really shouldn't,
looks like a bug or memory leak. I'm not sure if it's cataloged as an
official bug though. Using bitmap.recycle(), and reducing the sample
size will mitigate , but not eliminate the problem. Also try reducing
the memory footprint of your images if possible. Hopefully this will
be recognized as a bug and fixed in a future release, at least I hope
so, I've had similar problems myself, and so have a number of other
developers.