greggnic wrote:
> I see your point and definitely agree. I would really like to see a
> sleep timer function for the music player though and don't think I
> would be able to write a whole music player application that could
> compete with the others out there...

Well, the built-in music player is open source:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/apps/Music.git;a=tree

In principle, you could make a sleep-timer patch and submit it:

http://source.android.com

Admittedly, there is a learning curve for making changes to the source
code, more so than with many open source projects, due to the unusual
build environment and the unusual patch submission process. I haven't
climbed that curve myself.

Another possibility would be for you to create an application that let
users configure sleep timers and, when the timer elapsed, broadcast an
Intent that confirming applications would pay attention to and honor.
You might partner with OpenIntents.org, as this seems like their sort of
application, and you might be able to help get some prominent
third-party applications, such as some music players, to honor your
sleep-timer Intent. This requires as much people skills as coding
skills, though, to convince other developers to follow your sleep-timer
lead.

There are probably other ways to go about this as well -- those are just
two off the top of my head.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 2.0 Available!