Okay I've figured it out. I would personally consider this a bug but
not sure if this is how it's meant to be.

Basically in onAnimationEnd I had to loop over all children inside the
viewgroup (and children of children) and set their visibility to GONE/
INVISIBLE and the buttons stopped getting touch events after animation
ended. And then onAnimationStart I had to set their visibility back to
VISIBLE.

Shouldn't setting visibility/focusability/enabled state etc on the
parent ViewGroup apply these down to its children as well (especially
the visibility part). Since the parent view became invisible, which is
fine, but the children view didn't (well internally) and thus were
intercepting Touch events eventhough the view as a whole was not
visible.