Marco, your hunch was right.  I was somehow creating multiple copies
of Activity C.  In case anyone can benefit from this, let me explain
how it went wrong.

I implemented onTouch() in Activity B, which would create an Intent
for Activity C, and then call startActivity().  For some reason,
onTouch() would get called multiple times with each touch, launching a
new Activity C each time.

Jon, I've seen some oddities from that myself, although I can't really
make sense of it.  But it's helpful to keep that in mind.

Thanks!