I think what we're seeing is just a "feature" of a subjective rating system.
I posted the scheme I use to rate apps a few weeks ago at
http://alsutton.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/marking-on-the-googles-android-mark
et/ so that if developers felt I was being unfair on their app they could
challenge me using my own post as evidence of why they felt I had
unreasonably rated their app.

Some users will see giving competing apps a 1* as a true reflection of their
opinion that compared to their favourite app another one is just a useless
distraction for users.

It's one of the reasons that AndAppStore allows users to say if a comment is
useful or not, that way you get an indication of what is considered a fair
comment and what's considered a blatant trashing of a useful app.

Al.
---

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.