You're probably looking to resolve the attribute by passing it through
the current theme.  Something like this might work:

TypedValue outValue = new TypedValue();
context.getTheme().resolveAttribute(android.R.attr.scrollbarThumbVertical,
outValue, true);
getResources().getDrawable(outValue.resourceId);

--
Jeff Sharkey
jshar...@google.com