I successfully opened gmail with prepopulated content and a file
attachment, it worked when I send it but this file was stored on the
SDCard.
Now I am trying to do the same with a shared application file (with
MODE_WORLD_READABLE) but gmail drops the attachment at sending time
although I saw it in the mail screen.
My code:

      String fileName = "test.txt";
      openFileOutput(fileName, MODE_WORLD_READABLE |
MODE_WORLD_WRITEABLE);
      File file = getFileStreamPath(fileName);
      FileWriter writer = new FileWriter(file);
      for (int i = 0; i < 4000; i++)
        writer.write("test\n");
      writer.close();
      Log.e("tmp", "size=" + file.length());
      Intent sendIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_SEND);
      sendIntent.setType("text/plain");
      sendIntent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_EMAIL, new String[]
{ "m...@email.com" });
      sendIntent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, Uri.fromFile(file));
      sendIntent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_SUBJECT, "subject");
      startActivity(Intent.createChooser(sendIntent, "send a file by
mail"));

I also tested MODE_WORLD_READABLE alone but I know gmail truncate to
102 KB so it's why I also tried to add MODE_WORLD_WRITEABLE but none
of the two solutions seem to work...
I tested on the G1, but if I test on emulator, altough there is no
gmail, I checked with adb shell that the file has read/write
permissions to "others" and I checked the content of the file, the
file is OK.