Mohamed Amir wrote:
> Mark: The user isn't supposed to be doing anything.  Just reading some
> information, and it's required to see the most updated information
> sent by the service.

What if they are in the middle of writing a text message, or are using
some other application? Why do you think you have the right to intrude
upon their use of their device this way?

If you are taking some steps to ensure that the only time you start an
activity from your service is if one of your other activities is in the
foreground...then that is your call. I think ensuring that behavior will
be difficult to get right 100% of the time.

Otherwise, I have not yet seen a valid use case of a service launching
an activity. If anyone has such a use case, chime in, and let us know
how you are not irritating your users!

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, $35/Year