I've recorded several videos for my blog (http://
dtmilano.blogspot.com) using xvidcap, which probably is in your
distribution's repositories too (I'm using ubuntu).
xvidcap supports all of these output formats:

 X11 Window Dump                         (.xwd)
 Portable Graymap File                   (.pgm)
 Portable Anymap File                    (.ppm)
 Portable Network Graphics File          (.png)
 Joint Picture Expert Group              (.jpg, .jpeg)
 Microsoft Audio Video Interleaved File  (.avi)
 General AVI file (DIVX default)         (.mpeg, .mpg)
 Microsoft Advanced Streaming Format     (.asf)
 Macromedia Flash Video Stream           (.flv, .flv1)
 Macromedia Shockwave Flash File         (.swf)
 DV Video Format                         (.dv)
 MPEG1 System Format                     (.m1v, .vcd)
 MPEG2 PS Format                         (.m2v, .svcd)
 Quicktime Format                        (.mov, .qt)

and it's very easy to use.