You don't have to load and save that stuff, you can put references to
your runtime data in a custom class and return that in
Activity.onRetainNonConfigurationInstance()  (http://
developer.android.com/reference/android/app/
Activity.html#onRetainNonConfigurationInstance()) and get it in
Activity.getLastNonConfigurationInstance().