When you create your AVD you can use the --sdcard argument this way:

$ android create avd ... --sdcard 16M
or
$ android create avd ... --sdcard /path/to/existing/img

The former will create a new AVD with a new "sdcard.img" file of the
requested size.
The second form will use the provided image path for the sdcard.

Then just run the emulator with the avd name and it should use your
sdcard right away.

Oh since if you had customized previous Eclipse launch configurations
with extra emulator launch parameters, make sure to remove them from
Eclipse, otherwise it might override your AVD setting.

R/